Special Pops Tennis is located in Roswell, Georgia, and was founded in 2005. This nonprofit program is centered around tennis lessons for kids (children and adults) who have intellectual disabilities. The program’s main purpose, however, is to enrich the overall lives of these individuals by building self-confidence and self-esteem. It’s much like summer camps in Atlanta.
Special Pops Tennis Executive Director, Jim Hamm, and his team of volunteers are now teaching over 600 children and adults how to play the game and, using tennis as a platform, they are also teaching important life skills for both on and off the court. Being a contributing member of a team can make a huge difference in the quality of life of those less fortunate as well as the opportunity to meet and make new friends and go to new places.
Free Tennis Lessons Atlanta
This is a non profit organization in Atlanta, Ga and there is no charge for instruction or tennis equipment (racquets, balls, etc.). The equipment is provided free of charge through individual and corporate donations and contributions. The United States Tennis Association (USTA) has also been very generous and supportive. The program is set up to fit every level of play, from absolute novice beginner to someone a little more advanced and prefers higher level competition.
Idea Special Education
Jim Hamm said that about 80% of Special Pops Tennis participating members have a form of autism or Down syndrome. The other 20% have various mental challenges and conditions including fetal alcohol syndrome and cerebral palsy. Since tennis is defined as a “lifetime sport” it is a great fit to help others of all ages and abilities to realize their own dreams. Junior tennis lessons for these special kids can have a huge positive affect on their lives. It’s a wonderful organization comprised of wonderful people doing something very important to help others less fortunate, and . . . wonderful idea special education ” for all the right reasons”!
For more information on how you can become involved with Special Pops Tennis go to specialpopstennis.com.